Bionic woman, bike racer, fun seeker.

Sunday 27 November 2011

The weekend my cranks fell off and I got blown off the bike!

Saturday I set off out to do a nice couple of hours round Cheshire near Poynton up the Brickworks and back round through Chinley. I couldn’t persuade the Couch Potato to come out so set off alone.

I got just past Poynton when I could feel the pedals coming loose.  I looked down and my crank was hanging off!! I called Richard who set to the rescue with a large Allen key, whilst I relaxed in Costa with a Cappuccino!

Once he had arrived we rode back to Sam’s at SVC in New Mills to get it looked at (after stopping two more times to screw the cranks back on again). Just needed a new bolt! Sorted! Thanks Sam.

I had only managed 16 miles and it was dark now. Never mind I thought.. at least I would get a nice hilly 3 hrs in the next day, as we had decided we would ride the Onix Twitter Ride.

We met at 9am with Mel and Alex this morning at Macclesfield Forest to start the loop. It was freezing but I was wearing my Maxgear Champion Systems Tech Fleece Thermoshield Jacket, so I was toasty warm. The start was slow with 4 punctures in the first 5k. Once we got going the guys at the front decided it was too windy and cut the route short. It turned out to be a good decision.


Leading out with @thetrouser http://www.flickr.com/photos/crankphoto/
We turned off the planned route to head back into Macclesfield to ride up the Cat and Fiddle. We had help from a very strong tail wind – according to Mel’s speedo and we were clocking 25kph uphill with ease! As we approached the last corner before the pub at the top Dave Harmon suddenly went sideways into the grass. I thought he might just have fancied a bit of cyclo-cross, then Richard (the couch potato) followed. As I reached the point they had veered off I hit a sideways gust of VERY strong wind and suddenly found my bike pulling towards the back of Richard’s, who had now stopped at the side of the road. I was putting all my body weight in to try and steer it away but it wasn’t enough! I got blown closer and closer to Richard’s back wheel and couldn't avoid it!!!

I hit him and ended up off the bike! Fortunately I landed on my feet though this time and not the collarbone! Phew! We weren’t the only ones to get blown off either, although fortunately no-one was hurt.

All in all it was a fun day riding with some interesting people.

No comments:

Post a Comment